Home News The Apartment Building Next Door Won’t Shut Up!

The Apartment Building Next Door Won’t Shut Up!

by admin
0 comment

Q: In an apartment complex near me, there’s probably a loose piece of machinery in the elevator shaft on the roof that makes a clattering noise all day long. It’s so loud that it wakes me up in the middle of the night. I have left a message for the building management but have not received a response. What are my building responsibilities regarding my neighbor’s right to be quiet, and what choices and rights do I have to eliminate this loud and intrusive noise? Which city agency should be?

A: The caveat here is that you’re dealing with a noisy building, not just a noisy neighbor who’s been told to keep quiet.

The first step in dealing with this is to “go to the source of the noise and contact the neighboring buildings that are generating the noise”.

New York City’s noise regulations include separate sections for residential noise (“residents seeking relief from urban noise”) and noise generated by outdoor heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) equipment. is included.

“Noises that wake you from sleep and disturb other neighbors in the building are considered excessive and unreasonable and may be against the law. noise code‘ said Mr. Manevitz.

You’ve already tried to get the building manager to take action, so the next step is to call the New York manager. 311 Helpline and registration noise complaint“When noise reaches a level exceeding the permitted decibel level for the zone, the city will intervene and issue a violation, depending on whether it is a commercial zone, a manufacturing zone, or a residential area,” the property said. Merchant Lisa A. Smith said. She is an attorney and partner at Smith, Gambrell & Russell.

Smith also recommended organizing and recording groups of neighbors who are bothered by noise. Complaint Together, they help expedite the process. “It may take multiple calls for city inspectors to be on the scene,” she said. “But neighboring buildings may be the easiest and cheapest way to address the problem.”

In addition to noise complaints, if this is a mechanical failure, you and your neighbors can call 311 to let us know. building department Regarding potential “illegal/dangerous construction work and improper building use”.

For weekly email updates on residential real estate news, sign up here.

You may also like