Home News ‘River Dave,’ banned from New Hampshire site, moves to Maine

‘River Dave,’ banned from New Hampshire site, moves to Maine

by admin
0 comment

Concord, New Hampshire (AP) — Hermit known as River Dave — Cabin in New Hampshire woods Burn After nearly 30 years on the property and being evicted, he found a new home in Maine.

82-year-old David Lidstone is installing windows and installing a chimney in a rustic three-room cabin on the land he purchased.

Lydstone, who received more than $200,000 in donations after the fire, said in a phone interview Monday, “The foundation needs some repair work. It’s just an old camp, but I enjoy working[on it].” I’m here,’ he said.

Raised in Maine, Lidstone refused to reveal where he lived or how to contact his landlord. However, his cousin confirmed he had moved to Maine, and a Facebook post showed a photo of Lydstone with his family in his new home.

“He’s putting it together, clearing the land, working on the garden, and he’s got some chickens. He’s moving forward,” said Lydstone’s cousin Horace of Vermont. Clark said.

Lydstone said he had to leave Canterbury, New Hampshire, because he had been in a dispute with another landowner since 2016 over woodland near the Merrimack River, which he had called home for 27 years. A judge issued an injunction against him leaving in 2017 after landlord Leonard Giles sued him, and another recently fined Lydstone $500 a day if he didn’t move. It ruled that

In this case, we experienced a lot of delays. On top of the pandemic, Lidstone didn’t always show up in court, and he was in and out of prison as he resisted injunctions.

It was also difficult to serve Lidstone by notifying him to appear in court. The property is approximately 1.5 miles (2.4 km) into the woods and is not accessible by car. According to a motion filed by Giles’ attorneys, in January one of his process servers slipped and fell off an embankment, injuring his leg while trying to reach Lidostone.

In March, a judge said Lydstone would face the daily are you OK If he doesn’t leave the area by April 11. Separately, Lidstone faces trespassing charges related to the property.

Giles, 87, of South Burlington, Vermont, died in July. It was not immediately clear whether his death would change the circumstances of the case.His attorney did not respond to a request for comment.

Lydstone said he was sad to hear that Giles had died.

However, he seems to be embracing his new life.

“I have all kinds of friends here,” he said. “I have friends every weekend all summer long.”

Last August, when Lidstone was incarcerated over a property dispute, his cabin with solar panels burned down during demolition at Giles’ request. rice field.

Lidstone agreed to collect the remaining possessions. He was securing temporary housing the next time he found a place to live—he had an offer—and believed he couldn’t go. return be a hermit.But at the end of last year he Came back We ended up living in a hut on the property that survived the fire, and more legal action was taken.

“Sometimes you have to stand up for what’s right,” he said in January.

Court records show that this undeveloped land has been owned by the Giles family since 1963 and is used for timber harvesting.

Lidstone, who represented him in court, claimed years ago that the current owner’s father made a promise to allow him to live there, but did nothing in writing. He also disputed whether he was on the premises in the first place.

You may also like